Looking for a cheaper way to equip your home gym with dumbbells? Adjustable dumbbells are a great solution.
Forget fixed dumbbells, which means stocking an entire rack full of heavy equipment. That’ll cost you thousands, and you’ll end up losing a ton of precious space to boot.
Here’s a review of the best adjustable dumbbells for home workouts!
In a hurry? Here is our summary of best adjustable dumbbells:
|View on Rogue Fitness|
Rogue Loadable Dumbbells
|View on Rogue Fitness|
Rep Adjustable Dumbbells
|View on Rep Fitness|
Titan Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells with Lock Collars
|View on Titan Fitness|
Ativafit Adjustable Dumbbell
|View on Amazon|
What are adjustable dumbbells?
Adjustable dumbbells take away a problem that everyone with a home gym can relate to: the space and budget required for an entire rack of weights.
Instead of buying individual weights going from 20s all the way to 50s (or even 70s), an adjustable dumbbell set is a set of handles or a device that allows you to adjust how much weight is on each bell individually.
This eliminates the need for dozens of different dumbbell sets, and helps you conserve space in your home gym setup.
Key features to consider when buying adjustable dumbbells
When purchasing adjustable dumbbells, there are a handful of things you should consider.
- Quality: It’s almost always a better decision to spend a little more and get a better product when buying a piece of home gym equipment. Chances are the investment will pay for itself when you don’t have to replace it a year later.
- Safe: Look for dumbbells that don’t pitch your fingers and hold up.
- Durability: Read durability ratings to determine how well dumbbells hold up when used. Lots of gym equipment “looks” durable, but oftentimes reviewers find that things fall apart a few months in. Avoid this equipment at all costs.
- Price point:Obviously budget plays a role, so look for adjustable dumbbells that fit your ideal price range. Unlike regular dumbbells, this should be a one-time purchase only (ideally).
- Fits the types of workouts you do: What will you use your adjustable dumbbells for? Some products might work better for CrossFit, where you’re switching between strength training movements and cardio exercises like battle ropes. Others might only be useful for a traditional bodybuilding setting.
- Easy storing:Adjustable dumbbells should be easy to stow away. There are so many good products out there that do this, so don’t settle for something less.
Below you’ll find the 5 best weights for home and the benefits of each.
Adjustable Dumbbell Product Reviews
Pros: Truly adjustable, these dumbbells come with numbered side rails that can easily be adjusted. When you pick up the set, the weight you need on each dumbbell “comes with,” so to speak. Makes for easy storing and easy adjusting of weights even mid-workout.
Cons: Bulky, might be harder to do CrossFit-style metcons with these.
Pros: True to the Rogue name, these loadable dumbbells are perfect for high-intensity CrossFit-style training. Heavy duty and with strong knurling, you can load these with lighter olympic bumper plates (10s, 5s, etc.) then attach a clip and you’re good to go. With these, you can use bumper or traditional metal plates—whatever fits on an Olympic style bar.
Cons: Doesn’t come with weights or clips. Like most Rogue products, pretty expensive. Two pairs are going to set you back $350.
Pros: Durable, strong and made with quality knurling, the Rep Fitness adjustable brand are the best ones if you’re on a budget. Good for traditional bodybuilding-style workouts and accessory work.
Cons: Some reviewers say that the ends don’t fit as many plates as they’d like, and that the handles are a little too thick. In the case of the latter, though, at least you have an opportunity to build up grip strength.
Cons: Some reviewers say the collars started to fall apart pretty soon after purchase, so durability could be a concern. Like most gym products made with chrome, they may leave a metal smell on your hands as they age.
Pros: Stories easily in one location and comes with weights. Rubber handles help better protect your hands from tears that might be caused by knurling. Comes in different ranges based on how much resistance you need.
Cons: Expensive, and some reviewers mention that the catching mechanism is faulty or falls apart after a couple months, which in their experience made the product dangerous.
Best adjustable dumbbells for CrossFit
For our money, it’s the Rogue Loadable Dumbbells. Yeah, they’re expensive. But they likely fit the best with all the other CrossFit equipment you already own, and they’re best designed for Metcon style workouts.
Best value for money adjustable dumbbell
While the ATIVAFIT dumbbells cost $300, they do give you the most value for your money in terms of the weight range, the durable material they’re made of, and the mechanism for changing weights.
They might not be the cheapest, but this makes them the most valuable in our eyes.
Best budget adjustable dumbbell
The best dumbbells for your home gym will depend on a number of factors. Basically, though, you should look for a quality product that meets the requirements of the type of workouts you do most.
If you’re looking for a beginner set, start with a cheaper option like the Rep or Titan Fitness brand. But if you’re a serious CrossFit athlete already and need to expand your home gym, it’s worth investing in a metcon-ready adjustable set like the Rogue Loadables.
For more product reviews, check out our CrossFit Gear and Equipment section.