The absolute last thing you want when working out is to take a step 10 minutes in and hear–and feel–that undeniable squish.
Sweaty feet are no joke. Many people are afflicted by overly sweaty feet, which not only makes you feel uncomfortable in the gym, but this could also affect your training performance.
So it’s pivotal that you have footwear dedicated to keeping your feet cool and confident.
This begins and ends with which socks you use during your workouts.
In this article, we’ll go deep into the benefits of wearing socks for sweaty feet and what you need to look for when buying your first pairs of socks. Lastly, we’ll review the top socks for sweaty feet available for you to purchase today.
With that all said, let’s get started!
Quick List of the Top Socks for Sweaty Feet
- Darn Tough No-Show Socks
- Nike Elite Running Socks
- DryMax Run Hyper Socks
- Cloudline Crew Socks
- Toes & Feet Anti-Odor Socks
Benefits of Socks For Sweaty Feet
Socks for sweaty feet are their own breed of awesome. When you get a pair of these bad boys, you’ll immediately see, feel, and hear the difference.
Here are some of the advantages of having multiple pairs of socks for sweaty feet:
- They wick moisture: Basically the claim to fame with these kinds of socks. The materials that go into socks for sweaty feet are created to make your sweat go away. Breathable, mesh-y material is ideal for these socks, and they’ll help keep your feet dry no matter the situation.
- Some are antibacterial: This is a nice bonus for some of the socks used to curtail sweaty feet. Not only do they wick away the sweat, but they make sure none of the nasty bacteria left behind sticks around for long. By removing both the sweat and the bacteria, you preserve your clean, healthy feet.
- They improve athletic performance: With this newfound dryness and freshness applied to your lower extremities, you get a better experience in the gym or out on the field. Your grip is enhanced, your feet can breathe, and you aren’t disgusted with yourself because you aren’t hearing that
- All of them are comfortable: Sock can’t just be moisture wicking–they should be comfy, too. Thankfully, the same material that whisks away sweat is also super soft and pliable, moving with your feet as you go through your workout. Trust us: These socks dry your feet and swaddle them in comfort, too.
As you can see, there are some benefits to owning a few pairs of socks for sweaty feet. And these are simply socks! You definitely get a ton of value out of these things.
Considerations Before Buying Socks
Socks for sweaty feet are made differently than regular crew socks. This means you have to consider a few characteristics before you go out and buy socks willy-nilly.
A great pair of socks begins and ends with what materials they’re made of. There are five different materials that are terrific for these socks, while there are two material categories to steer clear from.
- Merino wool: By far one of the best materials to put on your feet. All-natural, light, soft, and it has antimicrobial properties. It can absorb up to 30 percent of its weight in moisture…and it still won’t feel wet during your workout! It wicks away sweat so that it’s reabsorbed in the air. Plus, it’s insulated, thicker than cotton, and dries fast. This is the cream of the crop when it comes to sock material.
- Polyester: This would be a close number two to Merino wool. Polyester is a synthetic fabric, but that doesn’t mean it has its fair share of advantages. It dries quickly and is one of the most durable materials out there. Wrinkle-resistant, easy to clean, and more breathable and absorbent than nylon. You can’t go wrong with polyester.
- Coolmax: Made in a lab, Coolmax has been scientifically engineered to keep your feet sweat-free. It’s a combination of polyester and moisture-wicking technical fabric. (It’s also usually added to cotton, wool, or Spandex.) This material’s big benefit is breathability; compared to other fibers, this mixture of materials was deliberately designed to combat sweaty feet.
- Olefin: Funny enough, this material won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. The process to make Olefin results in an extremely lightweight, synthetic fabric. Not only that, it’s really strong, durable, stain-resistant, quick drying, easy to clean, and comfortable. Olefin is terrific at repelling and wicking water away. To put a cherry on top, Olefin is hydrophobic, meaning it moves sweat away from the area up to 25 times faster than other synthetic fibers. Basically, this material can do everything and should be considered for your socks.
- DryMax: The name kind of speaks for itself. This is actually a specific version of Olefin, a branded type made to keep your feet extremely dry. Plus, it’s infused with antimicrobial treatment at the molecular level, keeping the material odor-free. This treatment lasts forever, keeping your socks fresh use after use. Yet another high-quality fabric to consider for your first pair of socks for sweaty feet.
- Cotton: Just nope. Cotton is most definitely NOT the best choice if you have sweaty feet. Despite cotton socks feeling comfortable and light, the moisture trapped by the material doesn’t get reabsorbed into the air outside of the sock. Cotton fibers retain heat, which equates to odor and bacteria. This doesn’t come out in the wash, either. Obviously, this isn’t what you want when you’re working out at a public gym…or anywhere, for that matter.
- Plastic/Nylon/Polyester: These blasts from the past aren’t great at wicking away sweat or keeping your feet cool. (And when we say polyester here, we mean the non-technical version.) None of these materials are very breathable, causing hot, humid ecosystems down there in your shoes. This is exactly what you DON’T want.
You’ll want your socks to last. Some of the above materials are known for being super durable (polyester, Olefin, DryMax) while some aren’t so durable (plastic, nylon).
The reason why you want durable socks is so that they can move with your feet without fraying or getting holes. Plus, they should be able to withstand a good washing and drying treatment.
Of course, what’s the point of having socks for sweaty feet if they aren’t comfortable? As you read in the materials section, most of the socks available are super comfy. That said, it’s probably a good idea to try on a pair or two for yourself to determine which fabric works the best with your feet.
Top Socks For Sweaty Feet Reviewed
1. Darn Tough No-Show Socks
To start things off, we have some Merino wool socks from Darn Tough.
These light, cushioned athletic socks are everything you’re looking for. Made of 51 percent Merino wool, 45 percent nylon, and 4 percent Lycra Spandex, these made-in-the-U.S.A. socks are super breathable and wick moisture away like none other.
The Merino wool in these socks is naturally antimicrobial and antibacterial. Complete with cushioning on the base of the foot, true seamless construction for smooth performance and comfort, along with no slipping, bunching, or blisters, these socks rock.
Available in three different color patterns and low-cut for comfort, you can’t go wrong with Darn Tough No-Show Socks.
Get Darn Tough No-Show Socks on Amazon.com
2. Nike Elite Running Socks
What’s a sock list without Nike? Their Elite running socks are some of the best socks out there. Here’s why…
These lightweight socks for sweaty feet are 59 percent polyester, 38 percent nylon, and 3 percent Spandex. Nike’s patented Dri-FIT fabric helps keep your feet dry and comfortable throughout any intense workout.
They feel super smooth against your skin, and the reinforced heel and toe provide enhanced durability, making them last longer.
There’s also arch compression, giving your feet a snug, supportive fit. Plus, they’re right/left-specific, making these some of the most comfortable socks for sweaty feet available.
If you desire comfort and coolness–or if you’re an absolute Nike nut–the Nike Elite Lightweight No-Show Tab Running Socks are your best bet.
Get Nike Elite Running Socks Amazon.com
3. DryMax Run Hyper Socks
Drymax, it turns out, is a company in and of itself. Their famous DryMax technology provides for one of the best pair of socks for sweaty feet that money can buy.
Made of 73 percent Olefin, 11 percent polyester, 11 percent polyester, and 5 percent elastane, this sock is actually one of the better ones, material-wise.
More of the sock’s foundation is based on high-quality fabrics dedicated to wicking away moisture and keeping your feet fresh. Plus, they’re ultra durable and prevent blisters with their anti-blister system.
The Hyper Thin Mini Crew Sock is designed with 3D advanced fit, using special 3D foot models for a more accurate fit.
Each sock has a color mark indicating size after washing, and 90 percent of Amazon purchasers have found they’ve fit as expected.
Add on multiple air vents, dense padding for foot protection, and special fibers to ensure a comfortable springiness, and you’ve got the most intricate sock for sweaty feet possible.
There isn’t a bad thing to say about the Drymax Run Hyper Thin Mini Crew Socks. Don’t mess around and go with this option for sure.
Get DryMax Run Hyper Socks on Amazon.com
4. Cloudline Crew Socks
Another Merino wool sock, the CloudLine Crew Hiking & Trekking Socks might become your new favorite clothing.
This sock is different from others on this list in that it’s a full-blown crew sock; it isn’t no-show, but rather it goes about halfway up your calf. These were made for those trekking and hiking, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be used in the gym, too.
These Merino wool socks are super comfy, made out of 63 percent Merino wool, 33 percent nylon, and 4 percent Spandex.
The type of Merino wool is designed for long-lasting softness, and they’re quick-wicking to keep feet dry.
Add to that antimicrobial properties to keep yourself fresh and multiple vibrant color patterns to keep you looking cool, these U.S.A.-manufactured socks are made for those who have free spirits.
Even though these are made with hikers in mind, you can still kick ass on the gym floor as well as the trail with CloudLine Crew Socks.
get Cloudline Crew Socks on Amazon.com
5. Toes & Feet Anti-Odor Socks
Lastly, we have a pair of socks dedicated to keeping your feet smelling fresh and clean throughout your workout, for years and years.
Toes&Feet have this anti-odor deodorant, quick-dry, low-cut crew sock that’s built for sports and workouts.
Despite being 70 percent combed cotton, 27 percent polypropylene, and 3 percent Spandex (none of which are the materials known to be great for sweaty feet), the features in the sock are what makes them good for your feet.
They have a breathable mesh design, arch support, soft, anti-sweat materials, and a stretch rib opening and back heel tab to make these some of the most comfortable socks you’ll ever wear.
Plus, they blend titanium into the yarn to provide a significant anti-odor effect and relieve athlete’s foot.
What’s more, combed cotton is very soft and has wonderful perspiration absorption, unlike its classic cotton cousin.
Finally, the polypropylene is unidirectionally moisture-wicking, conducting the sweat quickly and keeping your feet dry, which is the ultimate want here.
If you prefer cotton socks–and getting a steal of a deal with a six-pack of socks–definitely choose the Toes&Feet Anti-Odor Socks.
Get Toes & Feet Socks on Amazon.com
If you have sweaty feet while you train, you have nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, rejoice! You have tons of terrific options for socks that will keep your feet fresh and ready to hit any and all PRs.
Before you go out and buy some, make sure to check out all of the socks we reviewed above and pair that (pun intended) with our materials, durability, and comfort-ability analysis.
Having sweaty feet doesn’t mean you have to live in anguish (or…ang-squish…too much?). Get yourself some epic socks for sweaty feet and get back to being a beast in the weight room!