Are you wondering if IHOP can help you keep up with your Keto Diet?
Perfect! You’re in the right place.
In this guide, you’ll learn:
- Is IHOP Keto friendly?
- What can I eat at IHOP on Keto?
- Are there any tips for ordering at IHOP on a Keto diet?
- And a whole lot more!
I think we’ve all been there; staring at the trademark IHOP mountain of pancakes, with our drool practically touching the plate and absolutely no idea where to even begin to start chipping away at this glorious plate of deliciousness.
But what happens when you transition to a ketogenic diet? For obvious reasons the pancakes are now off the menu but does that mean that IHOP itself is a no go?
For the keto IHOP fans in the crowd, you’ll be happy to know that this is not the case!
We’re going to show you exactly how you can still go to IHOP with friends and family, enjoy the keto friendly alternatives they offer and stay on course with your ketosis!
Is IHOP Keto-Friendly?
It all depends on how you adapt your choices to fit your ketogenic lifestyle.
Of course, the trademark pancakes (as we said) are no longer a viable option as they’ll simply not be conducive to safeguarding your ketosis.
However, IHOP has an incredibly diverse menu with plenty of keto friendly options, particularly the breakfast menu. Aside from the pancakes you have a range of low to no carb options, including; bacon, eggs, sausage and more!
So, I can only go to IHOP for breakfast?
Nope! There’s plenty of options that you can choose from across the entire menu and for any time of the day!
Read Also:What is the best 7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite?
What Can I Eat at IHOP on Keto?
The more experienced keto dieters will know this already.
However, you can make virtually any meal or social eatery work for you if you keep your eyes peeled for cutting down on the carbohydrates and doing a bit of background work to suss out which options will fit your dietary approach best.
Here are some of our favorite options which are also coincidentally the lowest carbohydrate options on the menu;
- Egg white omelette with cheese and bacon (<1g net carbs)
- T-Bone Steak (12oz) with steamed broccoli florets (<3g net carbs)
- House salad with diced turkey bacon and avocado (<5g net carbs)
- 55+ Grilled Chicken Dinner (<1g net carbs)
- 55+ Grilled Tilapia Dinner (<1g net carbs)
Read Also: Keto Diet Food List: A Complete List of What You Can Eat and What To Avoid
Tips for Ordering at IHOP on a Keto Diet
We could go with the generic advice and tell you that it’s “soo much easier to just eat at home” but that kind of defeats the entire purpose of an article dedicated to helping you make informed keto conducive choices at IHOP.
Instead, let’s focus on how you can make it work, rather than avoiding America’s favorite pancake pit-stop.
Planning in advance is our number one tip and always recommend for anyone following a more restrictive diet; be they keto dieters or not.
The great thing about IHOP is that it offers an entire range of complimentary pieces and add-ons that meet the keto criteria.
We’d advise keeping a shortlist of these on hand (be it written down or saved on your phone) or literally just plan your meal in advance, knowing what you’re going to have before you even get to the restaurant.
- How to eat Keto at El Pollo Loco
- How to eat Keto at Outback Steakhouse
- Buffalo Wild Wings Keto Options
- How to eat Keto at In-N-Out
- How to enjoy Keto Food at Chili’s
- Enjoying Keto at Sonic
Breakfast All Day
One of the best things about IHOP? All day breakfast menu. Our four favorite words (and music to virtually any keto dieters’ ears).
We’d typically go with an omelette or scrambled eggs and add in one or more (usually more) of the following options to round it out;
Keto friendly options to go with eggs:
- Pork chop (<1g of net carbs)
- Bacon (<0g of net carbs)
- Canadian Bacon (<1g of net carbs)
- Turkey Bacon (<2g of net carbs)
- Ham (<3g of net carbs)
- Pork Sausage Patty (<2g of net carbs)
- Turkey Sausage Patty (<0g of net carbs)
- Smoked Sausage Link (<4g of net carbs)
- Spam (<4g of net carbs)
- IHOPs range of cheese (<1g of net carbs)
- Avocado (<1g of net carbs)
- House made Salsa (<3g of net carbs)
- Green peppers and onions (<2g of net carbs)
- Mushrooms (<2g of net carbs)
- Spinach (<2g of net carbs)
- Tomato (<2g of net carbs)
Ask for Fresh Eggs
If you’re thinking of ordering the scrambled eggs, we’d advise you specify that you’d like to be made without the buttermilk and wheat pancake-batter.
Some branches will offer this to you (especially if you ask nicely) and others will offer to make them with just the egg white (this is if you ask really, really nice!).
Aside from that, you can just simply as for their fresh eggs; these are free of any unwanted additives and can be poached, fried, over-easy and over-medium (again, if you ask nicely, they may just scramble them!)
Read Also:What is the Quickest Way to Lose that Stubborn Fat?
Avoid the Temptations
This goes without saying; do you best to avoid the pancakes, waffles, hash browns, Belgian waffles, milkshakes and all the other sugar laden, carbs-splosion options.
We are not in the business of fear mongering, so we thought we’d include the lowest carbohydrate option for each of those mentioned.
- Original Buttermilk Pancakes: 53 grams of net carbs
- Jr Kids Waffles (yup, even the kids get the rough end of the stick when it comes to carbs and this is the lowest carbohydrate waffle option on the menu too!): 49 grams of net carbs
- Kids Strawberry Milkshake: 47 grams of net carbs
Does IHOP Have Gluten-Free Pancakes?
IHOP does not currently sell any gluten free pancakes however they do have alternative gluten free options including; egg combos, omelettes, meat-based options and an entire range of sides.
One more reason for some keto dieters to avoid pancakes if they’re planning a visit!
Read Also:What are some Tasty Keto Fat Bombs?
Are IHOP Omelettes Keto?
And they have a huge range of keto-friendly options on hand for you that will not only keep you on point with your ketosis but also provide you with a highly nutritious protein punch and a tonne of health boosting nutrients and minerals!
- Build your own (adding in the keto friendly add-ons we alluded to earlier) (6g of net carbs before sides)
- Avocado, Bacon and Cheese Omelette (9g of net carbs)
- Hearty Ham and Cheese Omelette (12g of net carbs)
- International Omelette (12g of net carbs)
- Bacon Temptation Omelette (13g of net carbs)
- Garden Omelette (13g of net carbs)
- Colorado Omelette (15g of net carbs)
What are the Breakfast Options for Keto at IHOP?
“Limited” is the polar opposite of your keto-friendly breakfast options choices at IHOP.
You’ve got everything; from building your own to ready to go to customizable and beyond. Not only that but you can grab yourself a black coffee while you’re at it and make a good morning a great one.
Here are some of our favorite go to options!
- Eggs and T-Bone Steak without pancakes (<6g of net carbs)
- Avocado, Bacon and Eggs (<3g of net carbs)
- Breakfast sampler without hash browns and buttermilk pancakes (<10g of net carbs)
- Southwest Scramble (without hash browns red potato hash) (<6g of net carbs)
- Quick 2- Egg breakfast (without hash browns) (<5g of net carbs)
What to Order for Lunch at IHOP on Keto?
So, what if breakfast isn’t quite your thing? Well, firstly, that’d be strange because who doesn’t like breakfast?
And, secondly, fear not because IHOP has a whole range of non-breakfast items that’ll fit right into your ketosis campaign.
The standard rules apply; ask staff to remove the carbohydrate rich components to your atypical lunch time meals like breads, wraps, potatoes etc. and also ask them to hold back on the sauces (choosing your own, low to no carb dressing alternative in place).
Generally speaking, you could go for an open sandwich or wrap-less wrap, or request a lettuce wrap.
We’d even push the boat out and go for a burger around this time (is there ever a bad time for a burger?). Bun-less of course, but just because it’s bun-less doesn’t mean it’s fun-less.
Ask staff for extra green lettuce leaves to form a makeshift holder for your sandwich, wrap or burger contents. We love to add in the keto friendly extras; particularly cheeses, avocado and the odd piece of bacon!
Read Also:What are the Best Keto Meters for Weight Loss?
Some of our favorite IHOP lunchtime menu options are;
- The Classic (with no bun or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- The Classic with bacon (with no bun or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- Mega Monster Cheeseburger (with no bun or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- Jalapeno kick (with no bun or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- Swiss steak and mushroom burger (with no bun or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- Turkey, avocado and bacon wrap (with no wrap or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- Double BLT (with no bread or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- Roasted turkey sandwich (with no bread or sauce / nutritional information not available)
- House or chicken Cobb salad with vinegar and oil dressing
We alluded to the dressings earlier so we’d thought it’d be helpful to throw a few of our favorites in here too so you can see which to add to a meal to really elevate it!
- Caesar Dressing: 2g net carbs
- Light Italian Dressing: 2g net carbs
- Blue Cheese Dressing: 2g net carbs
- Ranch Dressing: 4g net carbs
What to Eat for Dinner at IHOP on Keto Diet?
Dinner choices never have to be a headache again with these options; loaded with protein and packed full of goodness, whilst keeping yourself squarely in ketosis!
We’d advise harking back to our keto-friendly add-ons to compliment these choices;
- 55 + Grilled Chicken Dinner (<1g net carbs)
- 55 + Grilled Tilapia Dinner (<2g net carbs)
- T Bone Steak (10oz) (0g net carbs)
- T Bone Steak (12oz) (<1g net carbs)
- Tilapia Florentine (6g net carbs)
- Smoked Sausage (8g net carbs)
- Pot Roast (15g net carbs)
- Sirloin Steak Tips (18g net carbs)
- Roast Turkey with a house salad and added avocado and blue cheese (<8g net carbs)
Of course, you can always rock with a breakfast option for dinner if you so choose, or a heartier omelette if you’re that way inclined!
As we’ve been saying, there’s a whole range of options for you at IHOP, you just have to do your planning and eat smarter!
Throw in one of the available zero kcal carbonated drink options and you’ll fit right into any social event without feeling like you’re missing out!
IHOP has plenty to offer to the keto community. From readily suitable meals to customizable options packed full of health boosting goodies and completely keto friendly, IHOP is more keto dieter dream than it is nightmare!
Breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between, IHOP can be a perfect option for upkeeping your ketosis and having a delicious, nutritious meal with family and friends!